TeachPTY is an English-teaching after-school program that aims to bring together international volunteers with underprivileged third-grade students from Pedasi, Panama. Its goal is to improve English language education in elementary public schools in Panama while enabling cross-cultural awareness.
Pedasi is one of Panama’s most charming small towns. Located on the Azuero Peninsula, it boasts a population of 3,000 people, and it’s the kind of place where everyone knows each other. Locals will often strike up a conversation with you while eating breakfast at the local fonda and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The pace of life here moves slowly, and everything you need is just a quick walk or bike ride away.
The nearest beach is just a 10-minute drive from the center of town, and from here you can take a small fisherman boat to Isla Iguana, a gorgeous island with white sand beaches, turquoise water, and dramatic rocky cliffs. If you’re into surfing, the nearby beach town of Playa Venao has a long stretch of waves that has been attracting surfers for years.
Pedasi has gained a lot of traction in recent years as locals, foreigners, and retirees are discovering what this charming town in Panama has to offer. With the growing demand for tourism in Pedasi, there is a unique opportunity for you to make a difference for locals in the community.
TeachPTY is a social enterprise in Pedasi that offers travelers the opportunity to teach English to children and experience the Panamanian way of living as a resident rather than a tourist. In other words, the organization provides travelers the opportunity to stay in a friendly, safe and ‘home-like’ environment, as they contribute their time and energy volunteering.
A typical day for volunteers would include teaching English courses to 3rd-grade students four times a week as part an after-school program from 2 – 5 PM. Mornings and weekends are off, so you are free to explore the town, go surfing, or go on an adventure to one of the other beautiful areas of Panama.
No experience? Don’t panic, TeachPTY can equip you with the skills and programs to teach English. The TeachPTY methodology follows Panama’s Ministry of Education (Meduca) guidelines and is intended to complement its syllabus. The idea is to adapt Meduca’s curriculum to make it more interactive and enjoyable for students through games and fun activities while making it easy for volunteers to take over and follow the program.
1. Volunteer to teach in an after-school program in Panama.
2. Develop children’s self-confidence.
3. Motivate children in rural communities to learn English.
4. Empower volunteers to transform the education and with it the future of Panamanian children by incentivizing the learning of English.
5. Spend at least two weeks living and volunteering in rural Panama.
– Volunteers between the age of 18-35 yrs old.
– Native English speaker or qualified via our Skype interview.
– Flexible, creative, resourceful.
– Hard working and motivated!
– Spanish language skills are not required but always a plus!
Program Fees Include
– Full Accommodation in the volunteer house.
– Meals during teaching days (Monday thru Thursday).
– Transportation: Airport / Pedasi (Round trip).
– Interactive English syllabus (Teaching materials included).
– A look into Pedasi town.
– Assistance in setting up your weekend trips to explore Panama (Friday to Sunday).
– Pre-trip and project preparations, communications, and all email/phone support.
– Free Wi-Fi access.
Extra Benefits (additional cost):
– Taste of the city (City tour: 2 nights in Panama City and one city tour at your arrival).*
– Meals during entire week.*
The volunteer’s fee depends on the number of weeks volunteering and benefits chosen within the program. Volunteers are welcome to join for any length of time, but the minimum commitment is two weeks. The fees will be prorated accordingly to the length of stay.
If you’re interested in applying for the TeachPTY program, you can start by filling out the online form. Once your application is approved, there will be a Skype interview required to confirm you are an English speaker.
For complete information on volunteering in Pedasi with TeachPTY, visit teachpty.com.